Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Drama Queen Jr.

Last night my two year old and I was enjoying a batch of popcorn before going to bed. She was sitting on her animal print blanket with her own little bowl and I sat on the edge of the bed with mine. Out of the clear blue, she started complaining about her foot hurting. I asked her where and she pointed to her foot with an expression of anguish on her face. As much expression she could show at that age. I did not see anything so I asked her to get up and show me. She slowly stood up on her blanket then limped to me. I wish I had a video camera. Prior to that moment, she showed no signs of pain or anything. Especially since just a few hours earlier she got a huge spanking for running from me as we were entering our home. The thought of her running into the street scared me more than her disobedience of not holding my hand as we have done since she was able to walk over a year ago. Plus she ran to the side of our building where I could not see her so my only instinct was to drop my purse, gym bag and the two shopping bags in my hand and go get her. Needless to say I was steaming and she knew it and quickly surrendered.

Anyway- back to the hurt foot- as she limped toward me, I began to laugh and she had a grin on her face that read she was faking big time. I kissed her foot like I do all hurts she gets and she went and sat back down. Not limping or anything. This morning when she got up, she reminded me of her foot being hurt. I looked at it again and saw a small patch of skin less than 1 cm missing from the side of her foot. I put some medicine on it and told her to be careful. She limped around the bedroom until I put in one of her videos while I took a shower. From that point forward, she was fine. I dislike that she is such a Drama Queen because when she is really hurt I will have to decipher between what level is actual pain and what level is drama. Oh, well, the next 16 years should be interesting! What am I talking about, she doesn't turn off the DQ button at 18. It just escalates!

1 comment:

Brown English Muffin said...

I can totally see her limping around until you leave the room when her limp promtly turns into a jump, bound or leap....kids these days!!

Does the DQ button EVER go off...my aunt is about to retire and her DQ button is always on!!!!!!!