Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Flush...Pause...Flush

About a week ago I decided to change my wake up time from 3:30am to 2am as long as I go to bed by 9pm. I found I am most productive in the morning and useless when I get home from work. In the evening when me and my daughter walk in the door to my apartment, I want three things: a glass of water, a snack and my bed. She is usually in agreement so it works well. The problem is being a new business owner, I need to use as many hours as I can growing my business, researching contacts, learning new info, etc. Needless to say, evenings have not been productive for me.

So the 2am schedule worked for a few days. I made sure I kept God first and studied my Bible before any other tasks or projects. However, yesterday, I thought I was going to sleep in at least until 4:15-ish. My alarm still went off at 1:55am because I forgot to change it. So I got up, turned it off, used the bathroom and climbed back into bed. Exactly one minute later, I hear my toilet partially flushing. I lay there thinking maybe my neighbor upstairs is up at the same hour and it was his toilet. Another minute later, I hear a five second partial flush again. Then about every minute for six times until I got up and yelled at the toilet to be quiet. WTHeck!

I have no clue about fixing a toilet especially at 2am so I lifted the tank lid and started praying that God will show me how to fix it or it would shut up. I poured more water in the tank and that did not work. I poured more water in the bowl and that did not work. I did figure out that the stopper looking thing was not closing all the way so water continued to run from the tank to the bowl. I had no clue what to do but knew I could not go back to sleep with a noisy toilet. So I went in the living room and started reviewing my Bible Study lesson for this week.

My apartment is a decent size for a one bedroom- over 680 sq feet. However, I could hear the flushing through the walls while I sat in the living room and it was driving me nuts. After 20 minutes or so I went back into the bathroom and looked in the tank and prayed that God would give me the knowledge to fix it. I made a deal that if He stopped the noise, I would stay awake and work on my projects and not go back to sleep.

Well if you ever looked in the tank of your toilet there is a chain that hangs perpendicularly from a plastic or medal rod looking thing. The chain is connected to the stopper looking thing. The chain had got caught on the rod which made it too short to allow the stopper looking thing to completely close. I corrected the hanging chain so it was hanging properly and that fixed my toilet. All I could say was, "Thank You, God!", and went to my computer and started working.

1 comment:

Brown English Muffin said...

That is too funny!! I was going to say if you didn't resolve it by the end of this thread that to stop the water running you just need to close the stopper!! But you figured it out...you go girl!!!