I cannot believe that 13 years later I am finding out that I may have a pension plan from the first job I had after graduating from college! Guess how I found out? My current employer uses Fidelity to manage their pension and Fidelity recently bought the files of my employer all those years ago and so they combined my accounts.
The first flag was when I saw my maiden name and address from all those years ago on my current employer's personal profile. I thought why would they dig up this information? So I called the handy dandy 800# and was told, "That is weird. We will call you back in 5 working days." That was October 11, 2006.
So I have called every week or so since and get the same response. Today, Debbie, a rep I had not talked to yet, was a lot more confident in her response that this issue will probably not be resolved in 5 working days nor by the end of the year. I expressed my concern of getting any type of false tax documents concerning this matter and she tried to assure me that would not happen. She stated that they have received several calls since buying these files in April, so it may take a while to get resolved. I kindly told her that I appreciate it and will call back. Yes, I should have escalated this matter long ago but I am not sure if I am due money or not. I was right out of college so pension was the least on my brain. I probably had no clue what it was either. So I am treading lighter than usual incase I have a few thousand waiting for me.
In the meantime, it is irritating to see my current employer have record of me working in two places and two cities. Also I have to question when the last time my former employer was audited because they should have caught this prior to 13 years later, wouldn't you think? Anyway, rather I have a windfall or this is in error, I will update when and how this was resolved.
Monday, November 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What makes you suspect it's a pension from a job after college? Did the rep mention that's what it might be or is this what you think it might be?
Just curious...I am so excited for you though as I know it's money you'll turn straight into your business!!!
Yes, all the reps I talked to stated it involves a pension account so it should have some phat interest by now!
PHAT, PHAT, PHAT!!!
Post a Comment