Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Keep The Door Open

A few minutes ago, a co-worker who sits in a cubicle came to my office and asked if she could shut my office door. I immediately replied yes as I could see she had been crying or about to start crying. As soon as she shut the door, tears streamed down her face as she raised her hands in the sky and let out a loud, "Thank You, Jesus!" I asked if she was okay and she said yes and continued to praise God for at least another 2-3 minutes. I became teary-eyed and didn't even know why but I knew I was happy for her for whatever just made her so thankful and joyful.

After she composed herself, she shared that her fiance and her looked at houses this weekend. She was concerned that they would not be approved due to a past bankruptcy and some past credit problems. BUT GOD... Their finance agent called and informed her that they indeed were approved and their interest rate would only be 6.75%. The tears started flooding again as she shared that they were thinking anything under 8% would suffice. She shared how she prayed for them to get approved, and that her past spending habits would not prevent them from owning a home.

I was so happy for her but was crying for a different reason(which she had no idea.)I was crying because of God's faithfulness in answering prayers. My co-worker is saved and chose to take back an old boyfriend who had lied and dogged her in their past. However, after she got over being mad about what he did, she would pray for God to bless him and gone about her business. After taking him back, they decided to live together and over Christmas got engaged. He does not go to church with her but sometimes he sends an offering and totally supports her involvement in the church. I asked her if she thinks this blessing is related to them getting right with God and she thinks that is part of it and her praying for her fiance during the period they were absent. Who knows? We do know God is still performing miracles though by approving their home loan with a recent bankruptcy.

The other reason I was crying because I was in awe of God sending this woman to my office. When I started working here almost three years ago, this woman and I became friends and confided in each other a lot. Sometime last year, she decided not to talk or even speak to me anymore. I confronted her and asked if I had offended her but she never provided any info so I let it drop. However, when I would see her in the bathroom or hallway, I would still say hello when most times she would not acknowledge me. Nevertheless, I would still pray for God to strengthen her to be an example for Him in our workplace. I never harbored any bitterness toward her, and concluded the season of our friendship was over.

A week ago when her dept had their Christmas celebration, she stopped by my office to ask if I enjoyed the food. This was the first conversation she and I had in over a year but I welcomed her and responded respectfully. Our second conversation since was today when she walked in my office. So I thank God that I took my role as a representative of Christ seriously so she felt welcomed to come and share her good news. I doubt we will ever hang out like almost three years ago because we are different people now. However, I hope if she ever wants to praise God aloud again that she feels welcomed to do so in my office and that I always keep that door open.

3 comments:

Brown English Muffin said...

You are a very wise and mature women...I think I would have still habored bitterness in not knowing why our communication ended so abrubtly only to begin in the same manner.

Anonymous said...

sister 2 sister: it appears 2 me that when her & her fiance broke up she was mad & now that things are good again she is on the upside. Like a real christian & that you showed "keep the door open" with a smile on your face.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.