Everyone knows or have said that we only get "one life" but have we ever really thought of what that really means. That one day we are here, laughing, playing, crying, thinking, feeling and one day it will all be over. SNAP! You have expired.
I am guilty like most people of taking this "one life" for granted and assuming I will have more days to travel, experience more things, talk to people I love, see my kids grow-up and get married, etc. Although I thank God for my life everyday, I do not ask that His will be done everyday out of fear it may include ending this "one life" that I know is temporary but seem to enjoy from time to time. I even believe my life in Heaven will be a billion times better than anything I have experienced now, but I still hang on to things and people that I love in this "one life".
As I grow older, I am privy to stories of people's parents who when one of them is deathly ill, the spouse will not let them go regardless of how much physical pain the person may be experiencing. I have seen people weep over the death of their pets and wondered if the pet knew they were loved. I also have experienced siblings who have not talked to each other in years and they are all in their 60's and 70's not acknowledging that after one of them dies, that's it. No I forgive you or forgive me or wish I would have called just to say hello or reminisce about the good times when we were kids. One life today because tomorrow is not promised.
I think about various people daily, weekly and monthly but do not make the time to call and let them know. They only have one life also. I send emails or letters from time to time and get no response. Do they understand we only have one life? I guess it does not matter what they think as long as today forward, I live as if I fully acknowledge and appreciate my one life.
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love you today!
I know just what you mean about sending emails, cards, packages just to let the person know you are thinking about them and they never respond. If it wasn't for the return receipt that the post office sends you to let you know it got there you'd never know if they received it.
It often makes me question why I continue to do it, I tell myself I'll stop and I won't do it next year. But next year comes and they're on your mind again and you think I only live once....so what if they never respond at least they know I was thinking of them.
Post a Comment